Thursday, September 4, 2008

What are people smoking in St. Paul?

I've taken time to watch a little bit of the Republican National Convention the past two nights, and I have to say, I'm really not impressed. Palin's speech last night was all style and very little substance. A few of the things she said have already been challenged and fact-checked. We're going to get our energy independence by drilling for more oil? How long will that last us--a couple weeks?

For all that the DNC last week in Denver was about bringing people together, this convention seems to have shades of wanting to do the opposite--keeping us divided, driving people into more debt, and preventing us from really exploring what all our scientists can do to make us energy independent at a lower environmental cost. I was repeatedly getting angry listening to some of the speeches the past two nights. I didn't watch them all, granted, but I think if I had I might have gotten even angrier. I was trying to be as unbiased as possible when listening to what some of the speakers had to say, but it was nearly driving me insane to do it. I don't know if it's my rational side getting the better of me or...no, forget it. I just don't think like a conservative Republican. And I'm thankfully okay with that.*

The one other thing I wanted to bring up was the fashion I saw the past two nights. Now, I'm wishing I had paid a little bit more attention to what the Democratic delegates were wearing, but I'll tell you something, I'm pretty sure the Republican delegates have a hold on tacky. From American flag-tiled blazers to the sea of cowboy hats, many of them emblazoned with more buttons than I thought would even fit on a cowboy hat (then again, in my mind, that number is usually zero), most of the outfits I saw just seemed so gaudy. There were a lot of people dressed in a more professional manner, with suits and ties, dresses, skirts and blouses and the like, but I really think that at best, it canceled out some of the fashion mistakes that were shown so prominently on CSPAN.**




*This is a VERY brief synopsis of my feelings. I wanted to make a post about it, but with limited time, this is what I can get out for now. Future ramblings more than likely will occur.

**I know that fashion has very little to do with the convention, but hell, I had to say something about it.

No comments: