Friday, November 21, 2008

Mobius Band--my indie electro rock love

A few weeks ago (the day the Phillies won the World Series, to be exact), I happened to be in the City of Brotherly Love to attend a concert for a couple great indie-rock acts: Tokyo Police Club and Mobius Band. Really, I wouldn't have thought to go to the show until I heard that Mobius Band was added to the bill. My first exposure to them was probably the song "Starts Off With A Bang" off their City Vs. Country EP about a year, possibly a year and a half ago, and I really dug their sound. They seem to do nearly everything right when it comes to creating perfectly catchy, yet musically good, electro-rock. And I have to say, I'm hooked. Their full-length album, "Heaven", has been in heavy rotation on my iPod lately, and I was thrilled I got to see them live. They look like they're just having a lot of fun up on stage, and that's what I consider an ideal live performance: a band having a great time playing and drawing the audience into that, creating a really great positive environment for enjoying the music. There were definitely people dancing and bopping around at the show during their set, and that made me really happy. The only thing that disappointed me was that I didn't get a chance to talk to any of the band members hanging around during the TPC set to personally give them my thumbs up. I'm considering this my way of making up for it. Thanks for playing Philly, guys. Can't wait to see you again!

Check out their video for "Friends Like These"--it's one of my favorite songs by them.

No comments: